Logan

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ty

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Luke

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, July 27, 2012

Mastectomy vs. Lumpectomy

 I met with Dr. Bunch on Monday, July 16th to schedule my surgery.  After questions and discussions, I have decided to have a double mastectomy.  Because I am triple negative and young, I think the safe bet would be to have the full breast removed.  I will only have my left breast removed at first.  When I go in for reconstructive surgery, I will have the other breast removed and reconstructed then as well.  He likes to do it this way because there is less chance of infection happening after surgery.  They want you to heal as quickly as possible so chemo can be started as soon as possible. I chose this because the chance of reoccurance is greater and I would be in constant fear that the cancer would come back.  I'm sure I will be screened yearly for the rest of my life (there goes my insurance rates,lol), but I would like to diminish the possibility of it reappearing as much as possible.  I have 2 beautiful children to raise.  I will do what ever it takes to stay healthy for them.  Surgery has been scheduled for July 19th.

1 comment:

susan wilhelm said...

Rachel has kept me posted on your progress. Gary and I have talked about your sweet spirit and your brave soul every day and send our love and prayers!!