Logan

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ty

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Luke

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Surgery

9am.  I am at Baptist.  Registered.  Ready to go to pre-op.  Sitting in the waiting room with my parents and my husband.  Surgery is at Noon.  They call my name.  Travis walks me to the desk.  Its my turn.  I get a kiss and a hug.  I'm not too bad yet.  I will see Travis again before surgery.  Time to put on the gown.  Get in  the bed under the inflated blanket blowing heat on you.  Whew, it's hot.  Get my IV started.  Attempt one: FAIL.  Tell the nurse she will have to put the in at the elbow so she doesn't tear my hand to pieces.  IV is in. Medical History is taken and confirmation that we will be removing the left breast. Now I wait for the anesthesiologist to come in to explain things.  Well that takes forever so the nurse lets Travis and my mom back.  They are funny.  After a while they swap with my sister and dad.  Then Mrs. Lynda, Mrs. Renee, and Michael pop in for a quick hey.  My surgery is scheduled for noon but now it is 1:45 and I am still not back. They are running behind.  Travis and mom are back with me and finally the anesthesiologist comes on and we get on our way.  I think it is 2:30 by now.  Bye bye boobie!.  I am done with surgery but do not come out of the anesthesia very well at all.  Usually it takes about 1-2 hours in recovery.  I am there from about 4 till 11:00 that night.  I was extremely sick.  I was not waking up like they would like and my breathing had really slowed.  I don't remember much but I do remember begging to see Travis and they let me call him.  He said I freaked him out I was crying so hard.  Sorry Travis.   After missing the "sick bag" and hitting I think almost all the nurses, they are comfortable with sending me to a room.  So what floor is my room on?  4th floor.  I think they should just name that floor after us.  I feel like we have lived there the past 3 years.  I don't remember much of the night.  I do remember a few visitors and the doctor the next morning.  I did not feel better until about 10:30 that night.  My one night stay turned into two.  So as a treat, my husband went and got me a Starbucks.  Yumm-o.  I walked the halls for a minute and then went back to bed.  Woke up Saturday morning and got to go home.  I was rather surprised at how little pain I actually felt.  My arm was hurting more than where my breast was.  The ride home was not that comfortable though.  All in all, surgery went well.  Happy to be home.  Ready to be healed.

No comments: