Logan

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Ty

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Luke

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Monday, November 17, 2008

What a Journey

On Thursday November 6, I went to the doctor and we scheduled a C-section for Monday November 10th. Well, that plan changed real quick. Thursday night, Friday morning at 12:30, I started having contractions. At 1:15am, I woke Travis up and we timed them for about an hour and a half. They were anywhere from 2-8 minutes apart. We called the doctor and she said to come on in to the hospital. We got there at 4:00 and by 6:15am, the doctor had come by and said we were doing the c-section right now. I was in active labor and the contractions were getting real strong. After getting 2 bags of fluids in me, they prepped me for the surgery and wheeled me back.
Everything was happening so fast. At 8:40am, Tyler Kenneth Jackson made his debut. He cried almost instantly when he came out. I cried the whole time. They cleaned him up and I got some kisses. Trav went with him to the nursery and I went to recovery. Once they got him measured and cleaned up, he brought Ty to me and I got to hold him for the first time. What a blessing form God.

We had lots of visitors on Friday and Saturday. Ty was very excited to meet his new family and friends.

(I can't believe I put such a beautiful picture of me up on the blog.)

On Sunday, Ty started making a rhythmic motion with his arms and legs. To be safe, Theresa, his nurse, took him to the nursery to observe him for a while. This is a sign of seizure activity. At around 4:00, I went to the nursery to hold him for a little bit. While I was there, his arms and legs started moving in motion again. His new nurse Susan was there, and she timed him this time. He went on for about a minute. She did not like the look of it and had the doctor come back in and do another exam. She decided to be safe and had him admitted to the NICU. I can not describe to you how I felt. My heart just broke. Travis and I were so scared. They took him back right away. An hour later they let us come down and see him. The NICU is about 2 months old at Baptist. When you come in, you have to scrub in for 3 minutes. Each baby has thier own room where a nurse sits outside a window to monitor them at all times. There is a pull out couch and a tv there for the parents so they do not have to leave and can spend the night. Being able to stay with him at all times really helped me. When we got back to his room, he was in an isolet with so many wires hooked up tp him.

The sight of that just tore me up. Once I got settled down, Katie Beth, Ty's nurse, told me what all the doctor had ordered for Ty. He was going to have an Ultrasound ouf the brain, and EEG, spinal tap (which they did twice and still could not get any fluid because he was not cooperating), blood cultures and urine test. I have never prayed so hard in my life. Over the next 4 days, we waited for test to be done and results to be given to us. Each day was looking better and better. All the test can back negative and the ultrasound and EEG came back normal. This was great news. On Wednesday, we were finally discharged and how happy were we. I have never been so ready to be home.

Here is my "little monkey" ready to come home

Although, all of Ty's test came back good, he still has to take Phenobarbetal for seizures. He will more than likely be on this med until he is 4-6 months old. The doctor said he will eventually grow out of the dose. Since we have been home, Ty has not had any more "seizure activity". We have seen the doctor 3 times and everything seems to be just fine. My only concern right now with him is that the meds that he is on makes him real drowsy and sleepy. I hope that we can decerease his dose so that he will be more alert and focused. Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. God has truly blessed us with such a wonderful support system and a BEAUTIFUL baby boy. Here are a few more pics of our little angel:





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I am so sorry that y'all had to go through that! I'm sure it was very difficult. I'm glad, thought, that his test results were normal and that you can enjoy Ty at home, now!

Anonymous said...

Travis looks like Dr. Kildare!!Does he do house calls?
Love Uncle Bucky